Denmark's very own Indian Expedition


While many of my friends in South India probably know about this small settlement but I am very sure my friends up North and elsewhere are not familiar with the existence of it. It is quite fascinating to note that even the Danes were not far behind in the European quest for new markets and colonies.

Unfortunately, it has been a very long time since I visited this small settlement but going through my archive of old photographs, I genuinely feel my friends in other parts of the country and elsewhere ought to know about this intriguing piece of history.   

Tranquebar is a small settlement about 300 km south of Chennai and local public transport is easily available. The Danes settled here in the early part of the 17th century. The settlement does not really have much to offer and with very few people it infact felt like a ghost town.

Of some of the attractions that the settlement has to offer is the fort Dansborg, build in 1620 which boasts of being the second-largest Danish fort. The Zion Church and the Governor’s bungalow are also noteworthy establishments.

Also, sorry for the quality of the photographs. I could not find the originals in my archives, only the edited ones were available and I was trying out too much with my photographs then - apologies.






Comments