No Place for the Naqaab

India is a very plural Nation-State that allows its citizens to practice their beliefs and subsequent rituals in a reasonably free manner with little interference from the State. While I sing praises of this Nation-State, I have to confess that time and again I, individually, have also been critical of India's structural nuances. Every Nation-State is unique in itself and in their attempt to retain their novelty, they have certain innate traits that are influenced greatly but not limited to, by the history of the particular Nation-State. The problem with such traits though is the fact that they are too idealistic in nature and are rooted in tradition.

Interestingly my dilemma today arises from a very minute yet thought-provoking visual of a good number of female school children running, probably because they were late for school, in their school uniform. This, you might think is a very common sight and as was not really of much concern to me. Now what really did catch my eye was the fact that most of the children, as part of their school uniform were wearing a light blue colored 'Abaya' along with a white-colored Niqaab.

I have been exposed to women who regard covered clothing of such nature actually liberating and yes, I do understand Freedom of Expression and the right for an individual to wear whatever they want to wear but unfortunately I cannot restrain myself from expressing my reservations for such kind of covered clothing especially when it is imposed on young girls without their consent at an age when they are incapable of comprehending the idea of consent itself.

Such imposition, in my opinion, has the effect of conditioning these young minds into accepting such imposed repression as normal and thereby leading to a state whereby the same individuals consciously accept and also propagate such repression as culture or tradition leading to a vicious cycle of repression and further repression over generations.

It is here that, I believe intervention by the State becomes necessary in order for a progressive society to take shape. Much like France which has banned the Burqa regarding it as oppressive to women amidst pressure groups regarding the same as against their Freedom of Expression, yet it is important to understand that it is the duty of a modern Nation-State to stand up against historical oppression and this is what is the prerogative of the Indian Nation-State, of course only in my opinion.

Given my identity, there might be accusations that I am simply following the right-wing rhetoric and what I am discussing here is against the secular nature of the Indian Nation-State and it's Constitution yet in retrospect it is essential to understand that in our attempt to judge every opinion through the frame of ideology, it is a hazard of this post-truth society, we have left behind our progressive nature. An interesting meme, which I was able to find on social media very humorously and in brief is able to express the opinions in this piece.



Comments

Post a Comment